26

 First off, if you’re reading this, you have survived another year, Good Job!

I thought I would feel more anxious about turning 26 and stepping into the second half of my 20s, but strangely I am not. I read this quote somewhere about aging. I don’t remember the exact word but it goes like this
“I don’t worry about aging because I am not any one age. When I go to the beach, I am 5 years old. When I see an ice cream truck walk past my house, I’m 11 years old. When I am dancing with my friends, I am 20 years old. When I take care of my husband (because I am married now), I am 27 years old. When I am sitting in solace and thinking, I am 50 years old. I am no one age and all ages at the same time.”
Now when you think of aging, hope you think about it too.

So much changed in one year, since I turned 25. Last year has been a rollercoaster for me and for my family. I got married, quit my secured job, moved out of my house, and then moved out of the country. I strengthened my relationship with people in my inner circle who I love and cherish. I talk to my family more now. I sing more freely now. I dance more fully. I have more compassion, for myself and those around me. And, I realize with each day the importance of cultivating inner peace, investing time into good relationships, and being willing to take more risks.
But, I’ve also come to accept that all of the above could change at any moment (the 50-year-old in me talking now)
The impermanence is both terrifying and reassuring. Reassuring because you know hardships will be impermanent too.
Although you might be wiser than me (I hope!), I wanted to get this out of my chest,
I don’t know where you will be or what you’ll be doing when you read this a year from now. Perhaps you just had a bad day, or something you really wanted didn’t come through. My advice to you is: take a walk and call a friend. It always helps.
I don’t want to wake up one day and realize that I have lived my life-based on inertia rather than making a choice, I don’t want to look back and say “wow if only I hadn’t been so afraid”.
On the contrary, I want to wake up one day and look back and say “Shreya you’ve come so far and I am proud of you”.
because living with intention helped every one of these experiences come to fruition, and I am so utterly grateful for each and every one of them.

And 26 is going to be my most adventurous year yet.  And I’m not being facetious…I truly mean it!  I am currently planning like mad, saving money like crazy, and getting ready to move out of my comfort zone.
I am sure I will get there.


I’m not gonna lie, for the past month or so, I feel like my default emotion has been not-joy. I’ve been even more of an introvert lately – not just for the usual joys of it, but also because I’ve just wanted a break. I still sometimes feel like I’m treading water in a sort of rut. I know it can take time to clamber up and out of a rut, so I am losing my hold on chipper perfectionism (because life is too short to be shallow) and allotting myself a heck of a lot of grace to do so.

But really, all that happened this so-recent year of living-25 has served to grow me and deepen my story. My perspectives have widened, my experiences diversified, and my marriage strengthened. Why should I be ungrateful for any of the hard times 2022 brought? Why should I push against that which has taught me and made me stronger?

I honestly can say that I don’t know what this next year will bring. I’ve loved the years when I’ve been able to predict how things will play out when I’ve got a plan. There have been a couple great years like that — a planning perfectionist’s dream. 😉 So, not knowing fully does tend to bring me fear.
But I can’t look at it that way. Because I’m tired of fearing unknowns. Unknowns aren’t always negative; they can be so achingly good.
You know what I liked when I was 25? I said “I am struck by how God’s plans for me are so much greater than any I could fashion myself. Life’s experiences have proven this time and time again.” And this only continues to prove itself true!

I echo my own sentiments from back when I turned 25: I want to step into my new year of life in faith and with an unshakeable trust in the One who made me and tenderly holds me.
26, you’re going to be great. I know, no matter what the year brings, that you will be whole and heavy and pure and stretching and GOOD. God is already working behind the scenes to add another chapter to my life story. And I desire no other Author, no other Good Shepherd, to walk through life with – no matter what 2017 and my 26th year will bring.

Innocence

No comments:

Post a Comment